Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: February 2000:
[linux-help] Re: sound problems

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: sound problems
From: Nate Bargmann <ka0rny@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 17:33:26 -0600

On Sat, Feb 26, 2000 at 02:17:39PM +0000, Justin Hamm wrote:

> When i log in as root, I can play mp3's, all sounds work, everything related
> with sound works great.  I log in as a normal user, i can only play wavs.  Is
> there
> something with my permissions not set correctly?

Permissions sound like the culprit (bad pun!).  The program that plays
your wave files probably uses /dev/audio while the mp3 player may be
using /dev/dsp.  Make sure the permissions and the owner and group
of both devices match.

In Debian the best way I've found to handle this is leave the permissions
on these devices alone and use the usermod command to add my normal
user name as a member of the audio group.  I also used that trick to
give myself access for ppp without mucking up the permissions on the
ttyS1 device and the ppp start scripts.

- Nate >>

--

 Packet   | N0NB @ WF0A.#SCKS.KS.USA.NOAM       | "None can love freedom