Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: February 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Alpha Server

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Alpha Server
From: James <pantherace13@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 16:11:41 -0500

Alphas are supported by several disributions of Linux. (This is being
typed on an Alpha) Red Hat and Debian support Alphas, and so do many
'smaller' distributions based on them. The problem with alphas is that
because they are not x86 boxes they may not run every program. However,
everything on an x86 RedHat cd is on the alpha cd (As far as I can tell),
and they run about 1.5x faster than a comparable x86 box. It depends on
what you are going to use it for - web/network server works great, and
workstations are fine if you can find the right software which can be
done using the net (you can also use static binarys for DEC/Compaq's
UNIX-like OS Digital Unix?). I would recomend getting it, but if you plan
to use it for a workstation, you may have to spend time hunting for
software.

James
And hopefully that made sense to you, and was a little bit helpful.