Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: hpcomm: September 2000:
Re: Question Regarding (RE: Install v3.0r4 over 3.0r3???)

To: William Barry <WBarry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "'Mitch Davis'" <mjd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, hpcomm@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Question Regarding (RE: Install v3.0r4 over 3.0r3???)
From: Irl_W_Smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 15:07:43 -0400

Comment about the translation:
As far as I know, the translation occurs (at least for the 48!) inside the
calculator, not in the PC.
  (Wistful sigh: Mac software for data transfer came with a nice font that would
take the extended (i.e., 8-bit) ASCII from the calculator and display it
properly on the screen. Since the Mac also is happy with (almost) anything in a
file name, the transfer almost always worked with no translation.)
  For the PC, especially because of its lame file naming, the best solution
seems to be to use vanilla file names on the calculator (i.e., if necessary put
a renamed copy in a temp directory and transfer that one) and use translation
mode 2. The file contents will go back and forth OK, if uglified on the PC, and
you avoid the name problem.
  Of course (I have no 49), if the 49 doesn't support the translation, then
forget it.
--Irl

William Barry <WBarry@xxxxxxxxxx> on 09/07/2000 14:49:47