Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: hpcomm: December 1999:
HPComm3.1b2 errors: doesn't quit, fails from PC to HP

To: hpcomm-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: hpcomm@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: HPComm3.1b2 errors: doesn't quit, fails from PC to HP
From: Irl_W_Smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 09:42:58 -0500

I am running HPComm3.1b2 installed as follows:
--downloaded the original version of the package, version 3.0r2, and
installed it.
--download the update beta-test version, 3.1b2, and installed that,
resulting in HPComm-3_1b2.exe
--Run this version.
Performance:
The menu bar gets corrupted fairly often. Click on where the File menu is
and it refreshes; slide over the menu bar and each of the menus refreshes
in turn. Annoying but not a roadblock.
Archive and Restore seem to work.
Drag-and-drop from PC to HP work.
Drag-and-drop from HP to PC fails miserably. If I try from HP to PC, I get
the message "Invalid Server Command" on my HP-48G. At that point several
things may go wrong, depending on how I try to get out of the problem. The
activity indicator on the HP (small arrow at upper right on display) may
turn on and stay on. If I unplug it goes out; if I plug back in it turns on
again. If I Exit the program on the PC, it hangs up in an internal loop (I
can see this using the Performance Monitor on my PC: the HPComm application
is using 100% of the CPU time). I have to use "End task" on the Task
Manager to get out of it. In no case have I managed to transmit a file from
HP to PC.
I am running Windows NT 4.0 on a Compaq Pentium II.
The previous version of this software (for the Mac) allowed the computer to
be the server and the HP to be the instigator of action. Is this mode
available? It would be good if it were!
--Irl Smith