[gopher] Re: Gopher Markup

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Gopher Markup
From: k-zed@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 14:06:21 +0200

Hiho,
> There is one thing that still confuses me though. The gopher URI scheme says
> nothing about a '/' between the type character and selector string. So both
> gopher://gopher.quux.org/1/Archives and gopher://gopher.quux.org/1Archives are
> valid gopher URI's. But do these two point to the same resource? Both
> bucktooth
> and pygopherd seem to think so, but I can't find a reference for this in the
> RFC's.
 Both "/Archives" and "Archives" are valid selector strings.
 The standard doesn't/shouldn't say anything about selectors, other than
specifying the set of valid characters in them; that a selector happens
to refer to a file system is completely coincidental. You cannot rely on
the structure of their contents in any way whatsoever.

Best regards,
 Mate Nagy