Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2009:
[gopher] UI suggestions for Overbite 1.2

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] UI suggestions for Overbite 1.2
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 12:56:36 -0800 (PST)

So, I'm starting to gather thoughts for Overbite 1.2. This will, as I
mentioned before, be Firefox 3 only. Get your wish list requests in now.

While I'm pontificating, I'd like to hear from the group on a few things
I'm mulling over:

- Jacob Head asked for a "View Gopher Source" which I will add (it will
display the raw menu data rather than the HTMLified version you get in
Overbite now, which you can still get with the regular view source). Are
there any other ways of viewing a gopher menu people are interested in?

- More skins, at least one or two. Still soliciting people's interfaces if
they have worked on any.

- The U-turn icon will be turned into an XUL overlay so that you can use the
button from any document, not just a menu. Where is the best place to put
it? The address bar?

- I've considered integrating the search dialogue (using DHTML) into the
page rather than using a drop-down requester, so when you click on the link
for a search engine or a CSO, a form drops down and the focus shifts to the
box. To cancel, you just click Cancel and the box rolls back up and
disappears. This also allows the form to be skinned, which is another
advantage, and is not modal. Which do people like better?

  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx
-- Don't anthropomorphise computers. They hate that. -- Gregory McNear --------