Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: July 2008:
[gopher] Re: secure gopher

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: secure gopher
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 06:57:48 -0700 (PDT)

>  has any thought been given so far to gopher over SSL or TLS?
>  It seems to me that it would be a much more useful (and in these ages,
> important) addition than further gopher+ like extensions.
>  I can't even think of any problem like the Host header for HTTP.
>  How complex would it be to change Overbite to be capable of this?

Fairly complex. Overbite talks raw gopher over a socket -- it uses no
helper libraries. I don't know if Firefox's SSL support would even be
hackable in this atmosphere.

Perhaps something end-to-end with an ssh tunnel?

Note that I don't think this is a bad idea -- it has a lot of possibilities.
But it will be pretty complex to write. I would have to do some research.

  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx
-- Blanket statements are always wrong. ---------------------------------------