Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: June 2008:
[gopher] Re: bucktooth 0.2.5

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: bucktooth 0.2.5
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 07:34:06 -0700 (PDT)

> > bucktooth 0.2.5 is released with a few significant fixes. This version has
> > some improved detection routines for management of newlines in text files,
> > better handling of large files (windowed read), and some other minor
> > custodial fixes. It is a recommended update.
>
> Is it easier now to install it without root privileges?
> I failed to install it some time ago and decided to use Pygopherd, which
> runs fine from normal user account.

Strictly speaking, you don't need root privileges to install it, but you
do usually need them to change inetd.conf or xinetd.conf (or, in 0.2.4+, drop
a property list for launchd) with the configure script. If you do those
things manually, then you don't need to be root. It's just a convenience.

In 0.3 there will be a daemonized version offered as well finally, so this
should solve the problem ultimately.

  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx
-- God may be subtle, but He isn't plain mean. -- Albert Einstein -------------