Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: April 2008:
[gopher] Re: Trouble with ASK form

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Trouble with ASK form
From: simple@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Jeff W)
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 08:27:31 -0700

David Meyer <papa@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Gopher Transmission Error
> > ---------------------------------
> > 1 Stephen Jones <smj@SDF>
> >  Cannot write ask data to '(null)'
>
> What's wrong?
>
> A separate question: Is it possible to make a gopher link,
> without an ASK form, that executes a script or program and
> returns the result to the client?

It's probably the way SDF's gopher server is set up, basically chrooted,
which makes it very difficult to have dynamic content.  It may be possible
to copy or create links to whatever libraries and/or executables are needed
for such content within the chroot directory.  Playing around with ldd(1)
is a good starting point.  Lack of dynamic content on SDF's gopher was
partly responsible for my becoming a gopher admin! ;)

If you do figure out how to get ASK forms to work please post to the
bboard>GOPHER directory; I'm sure there's a number of SDFers who'd
like the option!

-Jeff