Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: February 2008:
[gopher] OverbiteFF beta 2

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] OverbiteFF beta 2
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:23:09 -0800 (PST)

Okay, this version has the following changes:

- cleaned up some of the UI icons a bit
- per Jeroen's suggestion, a little mascot is now the default favicon for
  menus (and can overridden in gopherchrome with favicon.png)
- logic tweak to clean up a memory waster in the channel object

Generally, it appears the code is mostly solid, so that's really good to
hear.

For those interested in localizing, here are the files that need to be
translated. Copy overbiteff.xpi somewhere and unzip it with any unzip
utility. In overbiteff/locale/en-US are several *.properties files. They are
very easy to parse, essentially key=value pairs, and contain all the user
interface prompts and alternative text values for the dialogues and UI
elements. There are about 20 or so, not very many.

Make a directory in locale with your language and region code (such as, for
example, fr-FR, nl-BE, ja-JA, etc.) Copy all three properties files there and
modify them with your prompts (please do this in UTF-8 if at all possible to
allow Firefox to do whatever conversion it wants for the host OS). Try to
maintain punctuation and \n/\r entities, and make sure to keep the keys the
same.

Zip up the overbiteff directory into a new overbiteff.xpi, uninstall
OverbiteFF and reinstall it with your new overbiteff.xpi. It should "just
work." If it does, unzip it again and send me those *.properties files with
your language-region code so I can incorporate them into the repository. If
it doesn't, or you experience something unexpected, please advise and I will
check into it.

Once again, the URL is still

        gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/9/overbiteff.xpi

  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx
-- Make welfare as hard to get as building permits. ---------------------------