Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: May 2007:
[gopher] Re: Gopherfs and stuff

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Gopherfs and stuff
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 05:40:04 -0700 (PDT)

> I am not running a gopherd on r-36.net because of the lack of
> features in Gopher.

I'm sorry, this is a terribly ironic statement. Most of us are running
Gopher to *avoid*:

> a half-baked HTTP.

simply because such features are weighty or unnecessary for the purpose
of using a gopher server. It also detracts from the practicality of
server software if you are, so to speak, unwilling to "eat your own dog
food." If you won't run it, why would anyone else?

For many people running a gopher server alone is unrealistic, and I
don't offer all my services on gopher, but rather pick the ones that
are appropriate for each.

  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx
-- I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. -- Joe Walsh -------------------