[gopher] Re: test

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: test
From: JumpJet Mailbox <jumpjetinfo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 15:03:46 -0700 (PDT)

No, I didn't see that post.

  I have been in touch with John Goerzen, and just like Cameron Kaiser and his
FloodGap, I am not sure that hosting the archive would be a good thing for
JumpJet.

  Like I suggested to Mr. Goerzen, I think the ideal solution would be to set
up a dedicated Gopher Server just for, and ONLY for, this static archive.  Due
to the fact that this archive is really just the equivalent of a "backup tape",
the requirements for a Server would be minimal (persons would not access this
archive very often because the original source Servers would always be more up
to date, and probably on a faster internet connections as well).

  I could easily see using an obsolete PC with a 60-80 Gb hard drive (an old
Pentium 3 should be quite sufficient), on an inexpensive (i.e. slow) Internet
connection.  I would also recommend that the Veronica-2 index on FloodGap NOT
index this server, as persons should always be going to the original source
Servers first (this server should appear in the FloodGap "all the worlds Gopher
holes" list though).

JumpJet

Chris <chris@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Ok thats better :) Did anyone see my last post about possibilities of setting
up a dedicated server for the gopher archives etc?
Chris
gopher://hal3000.cx

--
Join FSF as an Associate Member at: