Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: December 2005:
[gopher] Re: PyGopherd and Gopher+

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: PyGopherd and Gopher+
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 12:40:52 -0600

On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 11:30:23AM -0600, Benn Newman wrote:
> > In general, let me say that after implementing at least part of
> > Gopher+ in PyGopherd, I've come to the conclusion that it isn't very
> > "Gophery".  It's rather complex in some cases and there are a lot of
> > special cases.
> Bah! UMN said it was Gophery, so there.

:-)

> > That said, you can probably specify a custom +VIEWS block using the
> > PyGopherd general method for specifying custom Gopher+ blocks, but I
> > have never tested that.
> That would work if you didn't feel like changing the files size everytime
> you edited it.

True.  I guess I'm just lazy.  Feel free to send patches ;-)

> > You could create a .admin file in the directory, I think.  (Again,
> > untested, but that should do the trick.)
> You can, but that replaces the other information, like the last
> modified date.

Hmm.  Point.  Patches will again be accepted ;-)

Sorry to say that, but I'm really to the point where PyGopherd does
more than I need it to, and don't have a lot of time to add features
that I don't need right now,

> > It does the correct thing according to gopherd(8).  As far as I can
> > tell, nobody actually follows what the Gopher+ chapter says on that,
> I do. :)
>
> Johm: I don't know how we call you our leader! *sobs* ;)

Probably because you put the word "terrible" before "leader".  Not
that it isn't true ;-)

> (By the way, quux.org's DN seems to be broken.)

Its DN?  I know that term from LDAP, but I seem to be missing
something...