Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: December 2005:
[gopher] Re: Gopher movie

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Gopher movie
From: Rich Roberts <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 21:01:58 +0000

Good catch!
Especially the gopherspace VR demo towards the end. (1995 all over
again!)

As an aside, port.ac.uk's gopher backups appear to have been lost in
the midst of time, but I'll keep my eyes peeled...

On 29 Dec 2005, at 19:29, Jeff wrote:

> Benn Newman wrote:
>> In the /pub/movie directory on boombox.micro.umn.edu's FTP server,
>> there is an QuickTime movie of two people talking about Gopher.
>> Unfortunately, it is only about a fourth of the size QuickTime
>> says it should be.
>>
>> Does anyone know anything about this? And more importantly,
>> does anyone have a complete copy?
>
> Hi Ben,
> I searched on "boombox.micro.umn.edu" +mirror and found a complete
> copy:
>
> ftp://ftp.mirrorservice.org/sites/boombox.micro.umn.edu/pub/movie/
> mpm_gopher.mov
>
> Basically a mirror that hasn't been updated in a while - lucky us! :)
>
> I haven't watched it right through yet but skipped through it to
> verify
> that it was indeed whole.  The credits at the end list the talking
> heads:
>
> talking head #1: Mark McCahill - mpm@xxxxxxx
> talking head #2: Farhad Anklesaria - fxa@xxxxxxx
> cameraman: Kevin Henninger
>
> file specs:
> name: mpm_gopher.mov
> size: 403 MB (423,141,376 bytes)
>
> I'll be putting a copy on my freeshell space for future access.
>
> Very cool find!
>
> Jeff Woodall
> Portland, OR
> --
> Simple Machines: gopher://beaker.mdns.org

It's 2am. Do you know who's reading your email?
Public key:
http://jesusstolemymoped.com/users.php?mode=profile&uid=4
Fingerprint:
97E1 1EBD 7E63 18CC A8B3  2742 FAFA 61B1 D718 052A