Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: December 2005:
[gopher] Re: Gopher movie

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Gopher movie
From: Jeff <beaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:29:21 -0800

Benn Newman wrote:
> In the /pub/movie directory on boombox.micro.umn.edu's FTP server,
> there is an QuickTime movie of two people talking about Gopher.
> Unfortunately, it is only about a fourth of the size QuickTime
> says it should be.
>
> Does anyone know anything about this? And more importantly,
> does anyone have a complete copy?

Hi Ben,
I searched on "boombox.micro.umn.edu" +mirror and found a complete copy:

ftp://ftp.mirrorservice.org/sites/boombox.micro.umn.edu/pub/movie/mpm_gopher.mov

Basically a mirror that hasn't been updated in a while - lucky us! :)

I haven't watched it right through yet but skipped through it to verify
that it was indeed whole.  The credits at the end list the talking heads:

talking head #1: Mark McCahill - mpm@xxxxxxx
talking head #2: Farhad Anklesaria - fxa@xxxxxxx
cameraman: Kevin Henninger

file specs:
name: mpm_gopher.mov
size: 403 MB (423,141,376 bytes)

I'll be putting a copy on my freeshell space for future access.

Very cool find!

Jeff Woodall
Portland, OR
--
Simple Machines: gopher://beaker.mdns.org