Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: October 2005:
[gopher] Re: New Gopher Wayback Machine Bot

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: New Gopher Wayback Machine Bot
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:45:56 -0700 (PDT)

> Cameron, floodgap.com seems to have some sort of rate limiting and keeps
> giving me a Connection refused error after a certain number of documents
> have been spidered.

I'm a little concerned about your project since I do host a number of large
subparts which are actually proxied services, and I think even a gentle bot
going methodically through them would not be pleasant for the other side
(especially if you mean to regularly update your snapshot).

Veronica-2 doesn't actually download content other than non-local selectors
in a directory to get around this problem since it doesn't index the
content in any case, just the titles and selector data.

I do support robots.txt, see

        gopher.floodgap.com/0/v2/help/indexer

 Cameron Kaiser, Floodgap Systems Ltd * So. Calif., USA * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx
-- "I'd love to go out with you, but I'm joining my split ends individually." -