Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2005:
[gopher] Re: test

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: test
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 15:03:55 -0600

On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 11:39:54AM -0600, Christopher M. Hobbs wrote:
> So, pardon my ignorance, but are helsinki and quux.org hosted from
> home?  I've got goiaba.net hosted on a VPS right now, and I've

I have a VPS setup from memset.com -- their "miniserver" package.  I
have been extremely happy with them.  A knowledgable staff, good price
(especially if you pay for a year in advance), and good service.  The
best thing is that the bandwidth is unmetered.  You can use however
much you can pull; it is rate-limited but it's only clamped down to
about the speed of a T1 so it's not a big deal :-)

That said, I'm looking at other arrangements so I can put this 40GB
drive to use.  I don't think I'd cancel my memset account though.  I
run about 11Gb/mo through it, and I think that would be expensive
elsewhere.

The nice thing about Gopher is that you can rate-limit it down to very
low values -- 5K/s or even lower -- and not hurt interactivity at
all.  I do host a few binaries from quux.org, but I don't think
they're the most popular feature at all.

> I need to get more content on goiaba.net, but I simply can't think of
> any ideas.  The whole idea of setting up the server was to help
> preserve the protocol, but its difficult to find content.  Perhaps I'll
> just host some of my haikus or old technical information there.  :)

I took the approach of sticking anything and everything that was 1)
interesting and 2) legal on my server.  I've got a mirror of the
world's largest interactive fiction site and a collection of RFCs.

Think of it as a blog.  There is no pattern you must conform to.  See
something interesting?  Post it.

Also, I am probably going to port PyGopherd to Haskell when I have a
chance.  That should be 1) fun and 2) sweet.  Actually, I've already
started porting certain PyGopherd features to Haskell, but in a more
generic manner (in my MissingH library).  The actual server should be
fairly small.

-- John