Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: May 2004:
[gopher] Re: Pygopherd and xinetd

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Pygopherd and xinetd
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 08:08:32 -0500

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 11:25:09AM +0200, Alessandro Selli wrote:
>   I finally set pygopherd_2.0.9 up and running on route-add.net, after
> installing python2.3 side to side with the server's native python2.1.
> I noticed that I cannot run it from xinetd, when I try to I get this error in
> the log:

PyGopherd does not have any support for running from inetd or xinetd at
present.  That support would probably be trivial to implement, but it's
just not there right now.

Let me explain some of the errors you're getting:

> May 25 20:28:16 brillante pygopherd[25192]: Pygopherd starting, using
> configuration file /etc/pygopherd/pygopherd.conf
> May 25 20:28:17 brillante pygopherd[25192]: mimetypes initialized with files:
> ['./conf/mime.types', '/etc/pygopherd/mime.types', '/etc/mime.types']
> May 25 20:28:18 brillante pygopherd[25192]: unknown-address [None/None]
> EXCEPTION error: (48, 'Address already in use')

That's because PyGopherd attempts to listen to a port that is already
being listened on by xinetd.

> May 25 20:28:18 brillante pygopherd[25192]: Application startup NOT
> successful!
>
>   When I run it as a standalone server, it runs all right.  When I wan to run
> it as a xinetd-run service, I put "detach = yes" in

Unfortunately, all detach does is tell PyGopherd to run as a Unix daemon
-- that is, it forks itself off, continues listening for connections in
the backgrouns, and returns immediately.

> Oh, by the way, John, I noticed this typo in the pygopherd/README file:

Oops :-)

-- John