Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: March 2004:
[gopher] Re: Port-a-Goph for PalmOS

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Port-a-Goph for PalmOS
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 10:55:28 -0600

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 08:55:52AM -0800, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
> Part of the reason I'm in the Gopher business is because it makes a great
> transport protocol and simple interface for lightweight clients. So now I'm
> putting my money where my mouth is.

One word:   Suh-weet!

I have twice started to try to learn PalmOS programming in order to
write just such a thing, and both times ran out of time and had to put
it aside to focus on other tasks.

I have a Clie NX-70V (a Sony hires 320x480 device) with a WiFi card.  I
Would be happy to be a guinea pig for any testing you need.

> Still to be done is to decide what to do with binary files and images.
> (Download them to, say, a VFS card?) I'd rather not have to embed a full
> GIF or JPEG display engine ...

VFS downloading is a good example.  I don't think a Gopher client really
needs to do anything with them.  You may be able to put in a hook to an
external viewer, but I'd definately say that would be a "post-1.0"
feature. :-)

-- John