Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: November 2003:
[gopher] Re: UM Gopher + FTP question

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: beaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: UM Gopher + FTP question
From: "Vlad D. Markov" <markov@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 21:45:38 -0500

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 12:01:15 -0800
beaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Is the UM gopher client supposed to be able to natively browse ftp sites?
> Thats the impression I get from the man page but I've tried several times
> w/o luck. Using "f" and entering the anonymous ftp server address returns
>
>  "Cannot connect to host gopher-gw.micro.umn.edu, port 70"
>
>  "Unknown error."

If one reads the fine print on the top of the form it says:
Connect to an anonymous FTP Server via the Gopher gateway

I don't think there is an anonymous gateway where its pointing.
The gateway is set in conf.h, you could change it to a valid
gateway & recompile if you knew of a valid one (I don't).

The folks at Debian are fixing this stuff up, maybe they have
plans to make ftp work.