Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2003:
[gopher] Re: Gopher Project is still alive..?

To: "J.A. Neitzel" <jneitzel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Gopher Project is still alive..?
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 15:44:07 -0600

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 08:01:07PM +0000, J.A. Neitzel wrote:

> I am just curious about the current status of the Gopher Project.
> Last release was gopher-3.0.5.  Are there plans to continue
> development?  I sent a little patch a few weeks ago and did not
> hear anything.

Yes, there are such plans.  Right now, I have been spending a lot of time on
my OfflineIMAP project -- gopher://quux.org/1/devel/offlineimap -- and
haven't had a lot of time to devote to Gopher.  The patch did indeed go onto
the queue though :-)

Grand plan-wise, I want to discontinue support for UMN gopherd and encourage
people with UMN repositories to switch to PyGopherd, which supports them.  I
would then continue to support UMN gopher as a client only.

I find that for these projects, I tend to be bursty -- you'll see a couple
weeks of furious activity, and then a month of silence.  Dunno why, it's
just how I seem to work.

> You, John Goerzen, are listed as the NetBSD package maintainer for
> gopher.  The package is apparently still at 3.0.2..?  The last
> release made enough improvements that I thought an update of the
> NetBSD package would have been appropriate, but ICBW.  Of course,
> your interpretation of what warrants an update may differ from
> mine.

I no longer have any NetBSD machines available to me, so feel free to take
over that port (and any other assigned to me in NetBSD).  Didn't know that
submitting a port would set me up as a maintainer there :-)

> I thought I might submit an OpenBSD port of gopher, but if the

Please feel free to do that.

> Anyway, I hope all is well.

It is, I've just reached my brain bandwidth limit for the week :-)

-- John