Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2003:
[gopher] V-2 status report

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] V-2 status report
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 05:23:57 -0800 (PST)

Since Veronica-2 has been (apparently ;-) inactive, here's a status report.

The major problem has been getting enough hardware to throw at the thing,
which is a definite stumbling block since a) I'm a starving student and b) I
have expensive tastes in computing architecture ;-)

Right now, it runs on a severely overworked PowerPC 604e/200 which also has
about nine billion other things to do and considering the workload I shove
on the box I'm surprised it hasn't folded yet. V-2 consumes a major portion
of that machine's CPU time.

So, V-2's crawler is offline pending a rewrite to allow better incremental
database changes, and the search engine is also being rewritten.

In the near future (read three months or so), I might be acquiring a stack
of G3 systems at very low cost -- if you haven't noticed, I have a PPC
bias -- and Veronica-2 will be moved to those systems and hopefully clustered
for improved response.

Things are afoot as always :-)

 Cameron Kaiser, Point Loma Nazarene University * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
-- Coffee. Delight. Border. May I see your passport please? -- Firesign Theater