[gopher] Re: PyGopherd UMN Broken

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: PyGopherd UMN Broken
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 13:45:36 -0500

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 12:58:27PM -0500, Aaron J. Angel wrote:

> Well, I can't seem to get anything in .Links or .names working.  Here's
> something I tried to use just now:
>
> Name=Journaling Versus Soft Updates...Web site
> Type=h
> Path=GET%20/publications/library/proceedings/usenix2000/general/seltzer.html
> Host=www.usenix.org
> Port=80

UMN-style dotfiles must have the Path= line first in each clause.  Put that
first and it should work.

Also, there's no need to do the GET%20 trick with Pygopherd.  Try this:

Path=URL:http://www.usenix.org/publications/blahblah...
Name=Journaling Versus Soft Updates...Web site
Type=h
Host=+
Port=+

This is handled by the url.HTMLURLHandler (see pygopherd.conf).  For Gopher
clients that understand URL links, they will go directly to that page upon
seeing it.  For the rest, PyGopherd will generate an HTML page on-the-fly
that will redirect people to the appropriate final destination.  This works
with name-based virtual hosts and lets a page's graphics work correctly,
unlike the GET trick.

-- John

--
John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>    GPG: 0x8A1D9A1F    www.complete.org