Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: July 2002:
[gopher] Re: PyGopherd + gophermap

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: PyGopherd + gophermap
From: "Aaron J. Angel" <aangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 17 Jul 2002 16:30:55 -0500

On Wed, 2002-07-17 at 16:14, John Goerzen wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 05:51:15AM -0500, Aaron J. Angel wrote:
> >
> > What's up with the gophermap support in PyGopherd?  Bucktooth's
> > gophermap files are slightly more intuitive than the ones PyGopherd seem
> > to support (e.g.: info lines have no tabs in bucktooth, which doesn't
> > seem to work with PyGopherd)...and there was something else, but I can't
> > remember what.
>
> If you could send me a sample gophermap file and a description of what
> Pygopherd does wrong, I'll be pleased to fix it.

For example, the following in bucktooth:

Info test blah blah blah

with no tabs whatsoever, is turned into an i-entry.  PyGopherd requires
something like this (F being the tab seperator):
iInfo test blah blah blahF

I think there may have been something else that seemed broken, but I'm
not sure...if I remember (I likely won't), I'll tell ya.

> > Also, is there a way to allow the use of type tags in HTTP URIs?  It'd
> > be most useful for Gopher/Web sites (I suppose I could simply <t> to /,
> > but that seems a bit crude).
>
> Hmm, I'm not sure I understand the question.  Are you referring to Pygopherd
> as a HTTP server, or to links from Gopherspace to HTTP-space?

As an HTTP server.  For example, if you have an HTML link to /<file>, it
works fine using HTTP.  But, say you're browser supports gopher, and you
try the same link, there's no type specified, so it fails.  However, if
you change it to /0/<file> or whatever, it works with Gopher, but not
with HTTP.

--
Aaron J. Angel <aangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

-- File: signature.asc
-- Desc: This is a digitally signed message part