Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: May 2002:
[gopher] Re: wget

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: wget
From: Stephan Beyer <s-beyer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 12:00:31 +0200

Hi,

> > I believe that there are gopher proxies such as squid.  I think Squid
> > speaks HTTP to the browser and gopher to the gopher server.
>
> Yep, I got a note from one of the developers saying it was supported. I
> just haven't gotten off my duff and updated the web-browser info document
> yet.

On http://www.squid-cache.org there is no Gopher mentioned so I didn't
download and try it.
But I was looking in Google:
http-gw  -> HTTP/Gopher proxy - but couldn't find a source or binary package
delegate -> Multifunctional Server/Proxy/whatever ... -

I looked in the source of delegate and it looked like it understood both
types of request:
        GET gopher://... HTTP/1.0\r\n\r\n
and
        gopher://...\r\n
But after installing and configuring it didn't work - it always looked
for a host named '-' but ok...
I think I'll implement the GET gopher://foo HTTP/1.0 variant, because
it's less work for me ;) (just the http_proxy routines with a
gopher-url) ...

But now the main thing is the recursion - I hope that I can release
today...

sbeyer

--
Stephan Beyer <sbeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>