Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: May 2002:
[gopher] Re: wget

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: wget
From: Stephan Beyer <s-beyer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 17:07:30 +0200

Hi,

> Nice!  Another one of my favorite fetching tools is pavuk.  I have long
> wished for a gopher mirror tool.  If you have spare time..  :-)

never used pavuk ;)
never installed...
when the gopher support for wget works as I suppose, I'll take a look at
it ;) ... in my spare time ...

one problem is at the moment, but I have no idea how to fix

--- snip ---
how my code behaves to directories:

wget gopher://foo.net/directory/
 -> downloads directory listing as .listing and generates formatted index.html

wget gopher://foo.net/1/directory
 -> same as above...

and now the problem:

wget gopher://foo.net/directory
 -> downloads a file 'directory' containing the Gopher dir listing response
--- snap ---
;)

well, but I can live with it... just wanted to tell you...
either the type is '1' or there is a '/' at the end of the uri - then
wget-gopher expects a directory

> I believe that there are gopher proxies such as squid.  I think Squid
> speaks HTTP to the browser and gopher to the gopher server.

Hm, don't know...

Well, I don't want to install any gopher proxy - I'll fetch the source
of squid or another one and look what type of request it wants

perhaps
gopher://foo.net:70/s/bar/qux.mp3<CR><LF>

but who cares - even
GET gopher://foo.net:70/s/bar/qux.mp3<CR><LF><CR><LF>

is possible ;)

bye
sbeyer

--