Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2002:
[gopher] Re: mime types

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: mime types
From: "Timm Murray" <hardburn@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 14:32:07 GMT

> I just had a wacky thought - unrelated to the previous paragraph. Many of=
 you might=20
> have heard that some people have compiled a web server into the Linux ker=
nel for=20
> some impressive speed gains... I wonder what compiling gopher into the li=
nux kernel=20
> would be like. :)

Kernel-level HTTP servers are great if you're only serving static HTML.  Si=
nce that isn't=20
too differnet from what Gopher does, I don't see why a kernel-level Gopher =
server=20
wouldn't be different.

>Anyone trying that? Betcha that would make slashdot... :)  A replacement f=
or NFS,=20
> perhaps? hmm...

If you want a replacement for NFS, you have to use something that can map *=
nix usernames and permissions on the files.  You'll need more than just a s=
tandard Gopher+ server for that