Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2002:
[gopher] Re: mime types

To: Paul Lindner <lindner@xxxxxxxxx>, gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: mime types
From: Robert Hahn <rhahn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 24 Jan 2002 13:30:41 -0000

Paul Lindner wrote:

> Perhaps when I finish the apache 2.0 gopher server I can see about
> hitching these two together..

Paul, I don't know if you've done this already, but can you tell us a bit more
about this project?  What I'm really curious about is the thinking behind
creating a gopher plugin vs. using a standalone server.  What advantages do you
see in such a design?  Please correct my impression: it seems like you're
attaching a helium filled balloon to a rock - not in terms of speed concerns,
but in terms of infrastructure.

I just had a wacky thought - unrelated to the previous paragraph. Many of you
might have heard that some people have compiled a web server into the Linux
kernel for some impressive speed gains... I wonder what compiling gopher into
the linux kernel would be like. :) Anyone trying that? Betcha that would make
slashdot... :)  A replacement for NFS, perhaps? hmm...

-rh