Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2002:
[gopher] Re: Security issues in Gopher?

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Security issues in Gopher?
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 22 Jan 2002 09:57:02 -0500

Robert Hahn <rhahn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> ooo... that's *cool*.
>
> ok, so, building on your example, what if I created a soft link to
> ls from within /home/anstouh?  would that be enough to work, or do I
> have to physically copy the binary to within that directory?

Neither would work.  A hard link would work.  Anything that uses
pathnames, which symlinks do, completely cannot ever look outside of
/home/anstouh.  Ever.

To put ls there, you'd need to copy in ls, your C library (libc.so or
whatnot), your ld.so, etc. if you're in Linux.  Because it can't even
find the C libraries if they aren't in the directory.

-- John