Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2002:
[gopher] Problems compiling with FreeBSD, installing in Slackware

To: <gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [gopher] Problems compiling with FreeBSD, installing in Slackware
From: <anstouh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 01:57:33 +1100 (EST)

>New to list disclaimer.<

Hi. I downloaded gopher-3.0 from the gopher site, and I've tried to
install it on my FreeBSD 4.4 box. Unfortunately, while compiling, it
gives me a lot of warnings of the form

In file included from ../object/STRstring.h:62,
                 from GGroup.h:2,
                 from GGroup.c:1:
/usr/include/malloc.h:2: warning: #warning "this file includes <malloc.h>
which is deprecated, use <stdlib.h> instead"

and finally dies with

gcc  -o gopherd error.o globals.o gopherd.o daemon.o special.o  dedot.o
openers.o index.o Waisindex.o serverutil.o ftp.o  waisgopher.o ext.o
site.o gopherdconf.o kernutils.o mindexd.o  authenticate.o
command.o pid.o AUTH.o GGroup.o  ../object/libgopher.a    -lcrypt
-lcompat -lm
gcc: ../object/libgopher.a: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/home/anstouh/gopher-3.0.0/gopherd.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/home/anstouh/gopher-3.0.0.

Also, because that failed, I tried installing it on my Slackware 8.0 Linux
box. It compiles fine, but won't make install; I think it creates the file
/etc/gopherd and then wants a directory of the same name.

Tristan