Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: July 2001:
[gopher] Re: PyGS - a Python Gopher Server...

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: PyGS - a Python Gopher Server...
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 19:12:01 -0700 (PDT)

> I'm sending this to the list too because I think it might be of wider
> interest - Cameron, does bucktooth ever do this?  John, do you know if
> UMN gopherd ever does this?  (I'll check if I get the time...)

Bucktooth sends a space for a "null" display string, so you get

i <TAB><TAB>error.host<TAB>70\r\n

> What do you guys think?  Is this a violation of gopher?

Probably, but the space approach isn't much better really. :-/

On a mildly related point:

One thing I noticed is that the proliferation of hierarchical gopher clients,
like web->gopher but most egregiously Mozilla which I played with yesterday,
handle i differently. web->goph does it well by preserving them, and the
order, which I think is important for server-defined hierarchy of selectors.
Mozilla actually changes the order (it sorts items), and displays no i
strings at all, both of which I find annoying. The sort I particularly
object to.

 Cameron Kaiser, Point Loma Nazarene University * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
-- Funk is its own reward. -- George Clinton ----------------------------------