Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: May 2001:
[gopher] Re: web->gopher

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: web->gopher
From: "em@nuel" <em@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 09:07:03 -0700

> By the way, I just discovered a mail in my spam-filter from you about some
> problem with the World Gopher list. I fixed it and it seems to work now --
> sorry about that. Typo :-)

Excellent!

> *and* :-) One tiny suggestion -- maybe make it turn "GET /" selectors into
> real HTTP URLs?

I used to do that, but I removed it after deciding that it's contrary to
the spec.  My interpretation is that the 'h' type denotes an HTML
document stored on a gopher server.  According to the spec, selectors
have no meaning.  There's nothing stopping 'GET /whatever.html' from
being a selector for a gopher server, so turning it into an HTTP request
is incorrect.

I create web links by creating an HTML document on the gopher server
that redirects the user to the destination web site.  It works well with
everything.

I don't handle HTML documents correctly yet.  Web->gopher should go
through and re-write all the URLs so that relative links work.