Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: May 2001:
[gopher] Re: web->gopher

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: web->gopher
From: "em@nuel" <em@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 08:46:23 -0700

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 10:37:33AM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> Your Gopher+ question about the bug in gopherd is a sticky one.  I may
> have to look into it, but the question as to how to handle that in the
> client is a tricky one because many gophers out there are not actively
> maintained and won't see the update even if gopherd is fixed.  I'm not
> sure what to suggest just yet.

Yeah... it looks like I'll have to put in a workaround.  Something like
download the whole thing and lop off the period at the end if there is
one and it's a text file (basically treat it just like a plain Gopher
response).  Too bad, it's a nice feature of Gopher+ that would work well
if we ever need to implement keep-alive connections (not that I can see
any reason for that with Gopher.).