Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2001:
[gopher] Re: ANN: Gopher Comprehensive Index

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: ANN: Gopher Comprehensive Index
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 06:50:09 -0800 (PST)

> > > I managed to find it too, thanks.  The license is a bit weird, alas.
> > > It might be easier to hack up your system than this one :-)
> >
> > Hack up V-2, you mean? V-2 is *plenty* hacked, believe you me.
>
> I'm not sure how all of this fits together!
>
> UMN gopherd comes with this gopherindex program that builds a WAIS
> database.  UMN gopherd also has "waisgopher" support for querying a
> WAIS database.  How Veronica or V-2 fit in, I'm unsure.  Can you
> perhaps clear that up?  I see no software anywhere called Veronica.

I misunderstood you. What I have is a separate distribution of wais called
SFwais that is a modified port of the original Thinking Machines WAIS.
This version is GPLed and fairly current (version 2.2 dated February 1997).
I like it better than TMwais. I don't know what flavour the UMN dist comes
from. If you want the tarball, let me know. I've hacked it slightly to be
more tolerant of extremely large document sets like V-2's.

Note that this version of SFwais has no gopher doctype anymore. I use the
one_line doctype and then parse the output from the query engine, so it
might not work for you the way the UMN-distributed one does.

 Cameron Kaiser, Point Loma Nazarene University * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
-- Proponents of other opinions will be merrily beaten to a bloody pulp. ------