Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2001:
[gopher] Re: UMN gopher client weird behavior

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: UMN gopher client weird behavior
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 20:53:15 -0800 (PST)

> Jon Nelson (the guy behing pygopherd) has been asking me why UMN
> gopher is sending weird things to his server.  I did some checking and
> it looked to me that the TAB $ was a gopher+ism -- dunno why it would
> try to send that as the first thing ever, before it knows it's
> speaking to a gopher+ server.  Is this a bug?  Does anyone else do it?

David and I have discussed that behaviour before and we consider it a bug,
too. Bucktooth deals with it by simply sending a stock gopher+ response that
forces UMN-gopher to use regular gopher requests.

What's pygopherd?

> Next, he said he had observed it sending *spaces* and not a tab, or
> even a tab with no $.  Is this a bug?  It seems to me that it is.

Haven't seen this yet.

 Cameron Kaiser, Point Loma Nazarene University * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
-- Wagner's music is better than it sounds. -- Mark Twain ---------------------