Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2001:
[gopher] Re: Gopher server-side programming

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Gopher server-side programming
From: David Allen <s2mdalle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 00:17:53 -0500

On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 09:13:43PM -0800, emanuel at heatdeath organisation
wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, are there any common solution out there for
> writing interactive apps using Gopher?
>
> I know UMN gopherd lets you run shell scripts, kind of like CGI, but
> when I played with it, it was quite limited.  The other way I've seen is
> by modifying the source of the server.
>
> So I'm thinking that a great solution would be gopher support for
> Servlets (Servlets are most commonly used for HTTP, but implementations
> can support other protocols as well).  Does anyone here know of any
> implementations that support gopher?  I'm thinking it would be a fun
> project... if only I had time.

Yeah.  This thought had crossed my mind since I've been working with
servlets recently.  Gopher has been "out of it" for long enough to the
point where I'd be suprised if there's any gopher software out there
that knows about java in any way.

What I haven't done before is implemented a non-HTTP servlet.  I'm not
digging the idea of writing the gopher equivalent of jserv.

> This ties in to writing WAP apps using Gopher, of course.

Oh yes.

--
David Allen
http://opop.nols.com/