Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2001:
[gopher] Re: Gopher for GNOME...

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Gopher for GNOME...
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 04 Jan 2001 23:23:41 -0500

David Allen <s2mdalle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> One of the things that I noticed about it was it's directory type feel
> - I don't use gmc much, but it reminded me of gmc, and acted as if the
> gopher server was an extension of your local disk.  I took a different
> approach as I was writing my client, but it was interesting to see it
> done in this way.

This is an *excellent* approach, if done right.  I think this is how
gopher was meant to be done, especially if it is integrated into the
file manager.  Konqueror does it this way, and it would be an
excellent client if only it didn't have more bugs than Microsoft code
XOR'd with /dev/random :-)

I have screenshots.
gopher://gopher.quux.org:70/11/Software/Gopher/screenshots

Also there are some preliminary patches to mozilla based on my bug
report there.  I haven't tried either them or the gnome client; you
may want to appropriate some ideas from there as well :-)

--
John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>                       www.complete.org
Sr. Software Developer, Progeny Linux Systems, Inc.    www.progenylinux.com