Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2001:
[gopher] Gopher for GNOME...

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Gopher for GNOME...
From: Bjorn Karger <bkarger@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 17:42:19 -0800 (PST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 02:03:31 +0100
From: Stefan Rieken <StefanRieken@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: bkarger@xxxxxxx, emanuel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Gnopher 0.1 is out!

Hi,

I thought that, as a Gopher advocate, you'd like to know that I released
version 0.1 of my Gopher client for GNOME. That's right -- brand new
software for the Gopher protocol ;-)

It has been added to the GNOME Software Map
(http://www.gnome.org/applist/) under the name of gnopher, if you are
looking for it.

I am writing you both especially because the Slashdot coverage of the
gopher:// manifesto inspired me to do this, and I have used
gopher.heatdeath.org as my main - testing - entrance into gopherspace
while developing. Thanks guys!

This is the very first release, lacking (beside of a few rough edges)
Gopher+ and reasonable datatype support, but it _is_ my intention to
have a complete (Nautilus-integrated) Gopher+ implementation at the end.
Hope I have enough holidays ;-)

Greets,

Stefan