Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: March 2006:
[Freeciv] newbie needs help capturing a city

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] newbie needs help capturing a city
From: "Joseph J. Strout" <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 17:03:30 -0700

I just downloaded FreeCiv recently, and for the first time, got to
the point where I have lots of units and need to start picking off
these piddly little cities the AI keeps plunking down in my
territory.  But I frustrated by my apparent inability to capture a
city, no matter how many units I throw at one.

The AI has about the same technology as me, or slightly less; I have
gunpowder and am attacking mainly with catapults, riflemen, and
legions.  He seems to have mainly archers and horsemen.  The city I'm
attacking is size 3 or so, and does not have walls.  At one point, I
threw about 20 units (including at least half a dozen catapults) at
this city, and as far as I can tell, I didn't even make a dent.  Many
of my units were killed as soon as they stepped up to the city,
before they got a chance to attack.  The rest died, invariably, when
they attacked.

Even outside the city, it seems hopelessly unbalanced towards
defense; my catapults (attack 6) died attacking settlers (defense 1)
more than once.  I recall this happening *occasionally* in Civ 1, but
unless I just had an awful string of bad luck, it seems far more
routine in FreeCiv.  The percentages shown when I center-click on the
unit I'm about to attack say things like "98%" yet I'm losing WAY
more often than 2% of the time.

All of this leaves me much less than eager to continue playing.  It
seems as though your best strategy is to never attack, since
attackers almost always lose.  But if I don't attack, I have no way
to stop the cursed AI from plopping its cities right next to mine --
and it also makes for quite a dull game.

So, what am I missing?  Is defense really so much stronger than
offense?  Are the dice weighed in favor of the AI?  Is the app
misbehaving in some strange way on my machine (I'm running the
precompiled binary for OS X)?  Or should I really plan to spend 40-50
units or more for every dinky little city I want to capture?

Thanks,
- Joe

--

Joseph J. Strout