Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: September 2005:
[Freeciv] Re: Terrain temperature: where is it in the ruleset?

To: Jonadab the Unsightly One <jonadab@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx, Lo'oris <lo_oris@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Terrain temperature: where is it in the ruleset?
From: Jason Dorje Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:54:19 -0400

Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> "Lo'oris" <lo_oris@xxxxxxxx> writes:
>

>>I was wondering how does the map generator know that glacier is very
>>cold and desert is very hot (and so on), since that information is not
>>present in the terrain.ruleset file. Or it is? I can't find it.
>

> Currently, that information is determined based on the order of the
> terrains in the ruleset.  So, rather than creating a new terrain
> ruleset from scratch, you want to copy the default one and then make
> your changes.  For instance, if you want a particular terrain
> ("plateau", say) to be "high", replace the standard Mountains terrain
> with it; if you want a terrain to be "wet", replace the standard Swamp
> terrain with it, and so on.
>
> This is not ideal, of course.  It artificially limits what kinds of
> terrain rulesets can be created.  Hopefully this will be improved in
> the future.  Currently, however, that's how it stands.

In 2.0 this is correct.  The terrain ordering is hard-coded in the map
generator.  You can change the terrains around but the generator will
not work (you'll have to use scenarios).

In the development version (2.1) this is improved.  The terrain ordering
is no longer hard-coded and you can change terrains around as you want.
  For instance you can add deep-sea and coastal-ocean terrains.  The map
generator does the best it can given certain parameters you can edit for
each terrain type in the ruleset.

-jason