Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: November 2004:
[Freeciv] Re: 3 city maximum? (long)

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: 3 city maximum? (long)
From: saywhat@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Eddie Anderson)
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 09:14:30 -0500

Per Inge Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Eddie Anderson wrote:
>>   I posted my question because I want to find out if others (who
>> play single player games) have found a way to make the AI play a
>> more challenging game
>
>In cvs head, try setting the AI to 'experimental' difficulty level. This
>gives AI only autoattack capabilities. This is nasty; although it does not
>quite know how to use it yet.

    Thanks.  I didn't know about this.  I'll try it.

>>   If the AI needs to use ICS to be effective, that is OK by me.
>
>The current settler code is optimized for ICS. I plan to work on improving
>that for cvs head later.

    For me, the big drawback of the AI's use of ICS is in the
endgame.  By then, the AI sometimes has dozens of cities that have
to be conquered.  That process can be tedious - so tedious that I
usually don't bother to finish those games.

>Currently the AI ignores falling happiness with empire size growing. I
>will fix this later.

    That will be good.

>>   That's helpful.  I haven't experimented with the *tradesize
>> options yet.In fact, I had forgotten about them.  However, IIRC, I
>> read somewhere that the AI was clueless about those options (and did
>> *not* work well under them).Maybe that's changed over the last few
>> months.
>
>The AI should be a little bit better at such games now, I think. Mateusz
>made an improvement here recently.

    I've been thinking about the notradesize/fulltradesize options.
They tend to make the first part of the game somewhat one-
dimensional (food is everything until your cities grow large enough
to start producing research points).  However, combined with other
options (e.g. techlevel?), the *tradesize options might produce an
interesting balance between adding cities and doing research.

    Thanks for the suggestions.

Eddie