Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: November 2004:
[Freeciv] Re: 3 city maximum? (long)

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: 3 city maximum? (long)
From: Per Inge Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 13:45:14 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Eddie Anderson wrote:
>   I posted my question because I want to find out if others (who
> play single player games) have found a way to make the AI play a
> more challenging game

In cvs head, try setting the AI to 'experimental' difficulty level. This
gives AI only autoattack capabilities. This is nasty; although it does not
quite know how to use it yet.

>   If the AI needs to use ICS to be effective, that is OK by me.

The current settler code is optimized for ICS. I plan to work on improving
that for cvs head later.

>   Instead, I'd like to, in effect, say to the AI, "You build your
> 10-15 cities and then stop.I'll build my 3 cities and stop.  Then
> we'll continue the game with just those cities and see who wins".

Currently the AI ignores falling happiness with empire size growing. I
will fix this later.

>   That's helpful.  I haven't experimented with the *tradesize
> options yet.In fact, I had forgotten about them.  However, IIRC, I
> read somewhere that the AI was clueless about those options (and did
> *not* work well under them).Maybe that's changed over the last few
> months.

The AI should be a little bit better at such games now, I think. Mateusz
made an improvement here recently.

  - Per