Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: June 2004:
[Freeciv] Re: Dirigible

To: "Celmeo Telorous" <jianfeic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Dirigible
From: kilobug@xxxxxxxxxxx (Gaël Le Mignot)
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:55:02 +0200

Hello Celmeo!

Wed, 30 Jun 2004 08:25:42 +0000, you wrote:

 > An early flying unit would have loads of uses. Blocking passage for enemies,
 > letting your own units past enemy zone of control and scouting enemy
 > islands.

 > Even if it were programed like a helicopter, that it could be attacked by
 > land and sea units, there is still too many stragetic ways of using such a
 > unit; grabbing defensible terrain, collecting huts from islands (in hut
 > games), searching for enemy capital, etc.

For huts,  we may  use the same  solution than with  helicopters.  For
getting units past  ZoC, it can only works if  the dirigible can carry
something.

A explorer-like, no carry, 0 attack unit can just be used for scouting,
that's important, but nothing more.

 > Also, another advantage with flying units is that inland cities could build
 > them while coastal cities pump out frigs. So I agree with whoever said 0
 > attack and 1 defence.

 > I would say a prod. cost of at least 50 for any flying unit.

Even if it's just a scouting unit ? 40 seems already a lot for that

--
Gael Le Mignot "Kilobug" - kilobug@xxxxxxxxx - http://kilobug.free.fr
GSM         : 06.71.47.18.22 (in France)   ICQ UIN   : 7299959

Member of HurdFr: http://hurdfr.org - The GNU Hurd: http://hurd.gnu.org