Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: December 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: feature request againts pubserver cheats

To: Horn Gábor <Horn.Gabor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: feature request againts pubserver cheats
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 12:57:08 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Horn G=E1bor wrote:
> I agree, this is a good solution too. I can see only 1 problem w/ it:
> there are some rare cases, when poeple WANTS a draw.

Then I suggest we allow voting for the 'endgame' command, and add a new
parameter to this command to make the game end in a draw:

      /vote endgame draw

Oh, I just came to think of two drawbacks with the voting idea:

There is no easy way to check the validity of the command being voted over
before the vote is finished and the command is to be executed. So if you
did "/vote set endyaer 500" (note the misspelling), then the error might
not be detected until the next turn, and a new vote would be required.

(We could add a new bool parameter & check to all command functions in
stdinhand.c, though?)

Also, it would be hard to accomodate multiple simulatenous votes. So one
player might clog up the voting mechanism all the time doing spurious
votes. Maybe there should be a rule that the a player cannot suggest a
vote if he did so the previous turn. But that a player can change his own
vote proposal until the turn ends and voting begins.

(Actually, we may not even need a /vote command. We could just snatch up
all CTRL cmdlevel commands issued by INFO cmdlevel connections and make
them into votings.)

> in quake's vote system there's a timeout for all the votes, and needs a
> majority of active players. If either the timeout expires (30 secs in
> default) or it doesn't get half +1 of votes 'yes', vote is automatically
> cancelled.

I do not think we need to add another timeout - that would be confusing.
We have turns, so we can use that as voting limit, I think. Only problem
is voting for timeout when there is none, and some player is AWOL.

  - Per