Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2003:
[Freeciv] Warning about mail to lists from non-subscribers

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx, <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Warning about mail to lists from non-subscribers
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:35:28 +0000 (GMT)

The freeciv lists are closed, in the sense that only list subscribers can
post to them. If your email address is not in the subscriber list, you
cannot email the list directly. Any email that is sent to the list from an
address not in the subscriber list goes to the list moderator (that's me)
for approval first. This has worked fine for quite a while and has reduced
the amount of spam on the lists to just about zero.

However, the last few days I've been bombarded with virus-mails and
auto-response mails from anti-virus programs that fill up the moderation
queue. This means that I can spend much less time checking every mail to
see if it is legit and should be passed on to the list. So please,
ensure that you either send email to the lists from your subscribed
address, resubscribe with your new address, or subscribe all your known
email addresses and set all but one as vacationed.

For more help on how the lists work, send 'help' to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxx

If you need help getting addresses changed or subscribed as vacationed,
contact me offlist.

  - Per