Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: April 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: got now "diagonal-keys"

To: Lorenz Wenner <lorenz.wenner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: got now "diagonal-keys"
From: Alan Horkan <horkana@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 12:59:59 +0100 (IST)

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 lorenz.wenner@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 09:40:42 +0200
> From: lorenz.wenner@xxxxxxxxxxx
> To: Per I. Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
>      Lorenz Wenner <lorenz.wenner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [Freeciv] got now "diagonal-keys"
>
> allright the server and the client run very well but i cannot move my uni=
> ts in=20
> diagonal direction, because i dont have those keys on my keyboard (i am u=
> sing=20
> a notebook). Does anyone know howto change the controlling of the client?=
>  i=20
> am talking about the diagonal direction when starting the client with

It is hideously unpleasant but for a while I turned on numlock and
tried to use the number keys (not the top row, the ones superimposed
on the keyboard over):
789
uio
jkl.
That kind of sucks, a lot.  And it also gets confusing if you are trying
to hit I to Irrigate and forget that you have NumLock on.
Alternatively you can learn to love (or hate) Goto and press G and then
use GoTo for even going a single square, although there are plenty of
situations when Goto is a really bad idea.

Usually I give up and play freeciv on a different machine, dont even get
me started about trying to use a broken trackpad with only 2 buttons (I
know I could probably emulate the third button by clicking both buttons
at the same time but that has an unpleasant tendency to slip and do
something I did not want).  Accessibility and Usability are good for
everyone, I cant state that strongly enough.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/