Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: April 2003:
[Freeciv] Capture the flag freeciv [was Re: Re: Speeding Up Games]

Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Capture the flag freeciv [was Re: Re: Speeding Up Games]
From: Alan Horkan <horkana@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 19:18:06 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, Daniel Herding wrote:

> JW> Aren't there barbarian leader units?  Maybe each civ
> JW> could start with a leader, and losing your leader
> JW> means your civ is defeated.  I think it would be a
> JW> nice touch if the leader unit got, say, triple defense
> JW> from a palace, so he would spend most of his time in
> JW> the capital city.
>
> That sounds quite boring to me. Everyone would keep his leader in his

First a leader, bit like a King, then a queen, a bishop a knight, ...
sounds like chess to me :)

Which makes me wonder has anyone ever used freeciv as a frontend for a
chess game?  (I remember seeing a Quake Battlechess mod, looked amusing).

A differnt type of tactical game build on top of freeciv could certainly
be interesting, a "capture the flag(/leader)" mode, or a Supremacy Rebels
versus established power type game.

> The leader is a 0/0/2 unit. He 'motivates' his nearby troops, i.e.
> when a Phalanx is stacked with the leader, and it is being attacked,

Sounds complicated.

> We would need a new graphic for the Leader unit. (the Barbarian Leader
> uses the Diplomat graphic.)

Would probably be easier to superimpose a marker on top of the
Diplomat graphic than coming up with a whole new graphic.

> Another idea is not to let the game end when the leader is killed, but
> to make it Capture-The-Flag-style. The leader gets the same advantages

sounds like there is potential for a really interesting mod pack.  Do any
of the other Civilisation/strategy games have something even close to what
you are thinking of?

> Problem: I don't think that the freeciv code is capable of recognizing
> the original nationality of a unit (not sure what exactly happens

It is much easier to bribe back your own cities, dont know about units
would have to read the code.

If you/anyone starts working on this mod. keep us posted, sounds
interesting.

Later
Alan