Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: March 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: Authorization

To: Adam Czachorowski <gislan@xxxxx>
Cc: freeciv <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Authorization
From: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 17:40:03 -0600

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 12:21:15AM +0100, Adam Czachorowski wrote:
> Hi
>
> We are about to start first LongTurn Freeciv game. Everything shows
> promise, but there is one problem. When player is disconnected everyone
> can connect as he and look at his map, disband his units etc. We've
> decided that we'll just trust players and don't bother with it, but in
> next editions of LongTurn Freeciv (I hope that this isn't last game)
> authorization would be very welcome. Why there is no authorization in
> Freeciv? Is it hard to implement? If not, could you do this (I'm not so
> good in C to do this)?
>
> And what other players think about authorization?

I'm not a 'playa', but I think it's a grand idea.

I wrote an authorization patch a while ago (appears to be last July), but
there were some problems with it (and I lost a little interest).

It requires quite a bit of work to the shady underbelly of Freeciv to make
it go. Maybe when I finish the second version of the effects patch (which
hopefully will be before the end of next week), I'll revisit it.

In the meantime, you might want to hop over to RT and take a look at
PR#1767. The patch itself I wouldn't care too much about (unless you want
to see the amount of code changes it takes), but I would appreciate
feedback on the new commands and nomenclature of what a 'connection' will
become.

-mike

PS: any initial version probably won't include encrypted passwords, but if
you're relying on the honor system now, you probably won't sweat that :)