Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: freeciv server problems

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx, "John L. Morlock" <jlmor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: freeciv server problems
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 09:32:56 +0100

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 03:59:22PM +0700, John L. Morlock wrote:

> I emailed you earlier with a problem I am having starting a solitaire
> game. In addition to what I described earlier, my server doesn't seem to
> be following the advice set forth in the manuals and the FAQs that I
> have read. The FAQ and the manual say that in order to run a solitaire
> game, I should open the server terminal from my RedHat menu, type 'set
> aifill 30'  enter and then start. Every time I do this, my server
> responds with "Not enough players, game will not start." I can get the
> server to start if I use the create command and create a few AI players,
> but then when I click the connect button on the Play window to connect
> to localhost on port 5555, it just sits there until it times out.

Well, the correct sequence of actions to be taken is,

1. Start the civserver in a terminal window
2. Start the civclient application
3. Connect to server
4. Switch back to civserver terminal window
5. Optionally enter game options
6. Enter "start"
7. Switch back to civclient window
8. Play

If this doesn't work for you, please tell us, what OS you use,
which Freeciv version, and where your grandma buys the milk ;)

> HELP!

HTH,

Christian

--