Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: how can we save a network Freeciv game?

To: Freeciv users <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>, paradox@xxxxxxxxxx, webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: how can we save a network Freeciv game?
From: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 07:44:39 -0500

On Sat, Aug 10, 2002 at 12:47:17PM +0200, Christian Knoke wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 10, 2002 at 12:23:30PM +0200, Reinier Post wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 12:54:27PM -0500, keith wrote:
> > > I'm scouring the website for the answer to this very basic question - i
> > > also
> > > read the help file, with no luck.  My friend and i invested several hours
> > > in
> > > a game, and i've still got it running, but he disconnected, hoping he'd
> > > get
> > > a chance to save that way, but there was none.
> > >
> > > Please advise, or forward to someone who can, if at all possible.  We'd
> > > like
> > > to get back to the game we started and finish it.
> >
> > 4) As one of the maintainers of civserver.freeciv.org I would like to give
> > players the option to say: restart a server on a given savegame from
> > a given game.  This is not a problem for security.  The only problem
> > I have with it is the interface.  It can only be available when the
> > original savegame is no longer running (to disallow cheating) and
> > other savegames than the final one are only available for a limited
> > time due to lack of disk space.
> >
> > I suppose what we could do is the following:
> >
> >  a) add a page to the webserver with the list of available savegames
> >     for any given recent, but finished, game
> >
> >  b) for every available savegame, add an additional link
> >     "restart this game" - clicking it would create a new server,
> >     and report on the port number it uses
> >
> > Would this be easy enough for you to use?
>
> I'd love it.
>
> > Can you think of a better design?
>
> No.

we _do_ now have a 'load' command within the server. It's an ALLOW_HACK
command, but I suppose that could be changed to ALLOW_CTRL. It might
not be ready for go time yet since loading a bogus game causes the
server to quit (I have a patch for this), but this might work if people
know where the savegames are. It's also somewhat fuzzy about the
behaviour of users that are connected to the server before the save game
is loaded. They tend to be assigned incrementally to the players in the
savegame. (which is why some sort of 'takeover' command is needed)

-mike